Thursday, April 3, 2008

Web 2.0 Techonology

Jenny's blog at http://uonlearning2.blogspot.com/2007/11/12-making-use-of-web-20-technologies.html
gave a really good overview of the ways in which the Uni of Newcastle Library is using this ever emerging technology.
There are new adaptations of social networking being created all the time, and I have added a few articles about them to the Library pages under Staff Development.
While some libraries have been using MySpace and FaceBook to promote their library services, my feeling is that these sites should be left for social, rather than education purposes.
I think we could possibly make more use of YouTube to promote the library, and have noticed that a few American uni's are starting to place their public lecture series on there.
One lecture that is relevant to us in the library is by a Library and Information Science academic Brian Sturm, who is incorporating storytelling theory into his lectures (now how would I come to know about that.)
His really interesting lecture can be found at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFC-URW6wkU
and he has given us permission to view this and use it for Staff Development purposes. Brian would really appreciate our feedback on this.

I can see our library moving in several possible directions in the future. More interactive catalogues that encourage clients to add tags and reviews is a distict possibility. Some of my lectureres are encouraging me to add a Library module in their BlackBoard sites, and I can see that Subject specific blogs or wikis would be useful here. Oral Health has been looking at the possibility of a journal club for its students, and we will be exploring the use of wikis for this.
So, time for me to work through the rest of the program...

No comments: